Monday, February 7, 2011

Fists and Blood

I encourage anyone who feels touched by these stories of my life to please click 'follow' at the top left of this page. I would also appreciate any comments you may have, however brief. I respond to every one.

Memories come and go at their own whim, they don't care about timelines, they come when they are called - by triggers, smells, sights, sounds, other memories. Thus, my blog is starting to follow some winding ribbon in the space-time continuum. I hope this does not confuse anyone. Some of the memories that I would like to talk about are not mine to tell. They are memories that happened to others in my family and did not directly impact me, and so they will remain untold, however tragic - but never fear, I have a list, and I will be able to keep my promise. 30 tragedies. A tragedy a day for 30 days. What happens after that, I cannot say. Maybe my light will be extinguished. . . will I go peaceably, or will I leave this life kicking and screaming; life punching me in the ribs until I cough up blood and give up my last breath?

My mother is prolific, in every aspect of life. She thrives in even the bleakest of times, and has an aura about her that attracts people - makes them love and admire her. It wasn't long after my father left that my mother had suitors, and a few years later she was re-married, and expecting another mouth to feed.

My step father was from another country, but had been in America for many years. He was regimented. While he lived with us he reigned and expected total compliance. He was the king and the rest of us were peasants and his word was supposed to be taken even above my mother's. He often liked to quote the Honeymooner's; some of you may even recognize the previous peasant quote from an episode. Bang-Zoom, to the moon Alice, to the moon.

I never liked him. Firstly, I still had men issues from the whole episode with my father. Secondly, I was suspicious of him, probably because of things that happened to me which I will discuss in my last blog. Thirdly, in my mind, no one came before my mother. There was nothing I liked about him; I didn't like his accent because I couldn't understand him, I didn't like the fact that he had no problem walking around me in his underwear, I didn't like his demanding ways, I didn't like the way my mother kowtowed to him. . . I could go on and on.

Once, when I was doing my chore of cleaning the kitchen, he watched over me. As I scrubbed the oven he told me to take it apart and clean each individual piece. I rolled my eyes and continued to scrub; I must have been about 12. He grabbed me by my arm, took off his belt and beat me until I bled. When my mother arrived home, I was on the floor in a corner crying. I didn't hear her stand up for me, although years later she said she had a talk with him at the time. All of my complaints about my step father went unheeded. The under wear thing, which I thought was inappropriate, and the way he talked to my mother. The way he degraded her. He liked to have sex with her with the door of their bedroom open, allowing my brothers and I to have access to visuals and audios that disturb me to this day, so I guess what happened next should not have been a surprise.

One night, there was a shriek. I reluctantly came out of my room to see blood smeared on the white walls, and my mother and step father struggling; my mother caught in his grasp while he was punching her in the gut. She tried to fight back but he was too strong. My mother was yelling for me to call 911, my brothers slowly drifting out of sleep to come see what the matter was. As I approached the phone, my trembling hand reaching out for the cradle on the wall, my step father yanked it out of the wall breaking the cord. My mother then pleaded for me to go to a neighbor’s house. As I ran to the door, my step father followed me, my mother in tow being shuffled along. He tried to block the door, but my mother mustered enough strength to open the door enough for me to squeeze out. I ran, for what seemed like forever. When I reached the neighbor, she called the police. We went back to my house together. When we arrived he had already left.

My mother explained that while my step father was at work she became curious about a briefcase he kept in a closet. It was always locked and he warned her to stay away from it. This particular day, a nagging feeling inside led her to break into the briefcase. What she found were pictures of children, birth certificates, and letters. He was married to another woman in his home country and they had 8 children together. Her marriage was a farce. When he came home she confronted him, they argued, and he hit her with a statue. That's when I woke up.

You might think that this would be the end of the story, but shortly after the police left, my neighbor lined up my brothers and me. She made us stand and face her as she degraded us for not fighting my step father to help my mother. She told us how ashamed we should be of ourselves. She told us we were bad children, and we believed her.

Tomorrow, Moving On. . .

18 comments:

  1. Oh...my god. This is deeply disturbing. Thanks for sharing these stories with us though. It probably can't be that easy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not easy sharing JJ, it was even harder to live it. Particularly with the neighbor berating us. I was standing there sweating and swaying - so nervous. . . it was like a nightmare

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you for your courage, Lexey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the visit Claude :) Courage only comes from the stregnth of my convictions, one of them being my belief in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see how you have had such troubles concerning men. I don't mean to make light of any of this at all, but this is exactly the kind of men I think about when I hear some arrogant SOB talking about how HE needs his ManCave. I have only had the briefest exposure to these kinds of men but I hate them with such a white hot intensity that it's not funny. I can't believe that neighbor chewing out you and your brothers. She should have been praising you for escaping to get help. Sending sweet, happy, loving, nurturing, thoughts your way Pandora!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, thank you so much! Domestic violence is a scary thing, but I learned something from it - to respect myself enough and have the strength enough from God to get out if things turn ugly. Thank you for the warm and fuzzy feelings : ) btw, i loved your man-cave rant, hope you saw my comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trying again to comment: hope it works this time!

    You're courageous to share this (it's very well written too btw, I'm riveted). *admiration*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you littleanimation :), my favorite post is A Recipe For A Baby, pls read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you had to go through so much when you were younger. It has a tendency to sort of haunt adult life, doesn't it? It is something we have in common, a chaotic and sometimes violent childhood.

    I think you should tell your stories and maybe someday that will be the thing that sends them into the past. They do haunt a life and telling the stories is a form of exorcism.

    By the way, your neighbor was a fool. Even if she was well-intentioned, she was quite simply wrong. You've nothing to feel badly about in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrible. Don't you wish you could go back in time and just tell all those people how wrong they were?

    Your courage is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @landofshimp You are so right, all of these memories live like ghosts in my head. For a long time they impacted my relationships with men (read: The Big Bad Wolf). Thank you for the support - and you're right the neighbor was an ass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @thebloggess I do wish I could back, when I was younger I craved violence against these people, now I only want to forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such courage you are showing by telling all these tragic events in your life. It's always good to share to lessen the impact on us. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Lisa, I was just teling my husband I'm not sure if this is helping anyone, but I sure hope so. . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you directed me here. I've certainly had my own experiences, but I like to hear the stories of others. It takes strength to open up and I commend you for that. This is where healing takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much Des - I'm glad you share this space with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @NormalToEatPB: i knew it that you are one courageous woman! :) and I really, really hate at your insensitive neighbor! rrr...

    ReplyDelete
  18. ur so sweet Kalamay :) thank you for letting me share with you. . .

    and yes, my neighbor was a fool :(

    ReplyDelete

All written materials encompassing the entirety of this blog (Normal To EatPB), are the expressed written property of the author NormalToEatPB and are not to be used in any publication of any type without the author’s permission. Anyone not adhering to this warning will face litigation. This warning does not apply to links to this blog. © NormalToEatPB