Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Mother and Daughter

Reflection can come from within or without. My mirror has been this blog; my internal struggles and grapplings with my past, and actually seeing my thoughts and feelings on screen. It's like I've worked out a math equation on a chalk board, and although I may be graded, just knowing that I was able to work out the problem for myself - whether the answer be wrong or right - makes me feel good inside. I have been apprehensive about writing about certain topics; and truly the real bombshells will not come until the end of this blog, which will likely occur in 10 days. This particular entry, dealing with my relationship with my mother is troubling. I know, it's normal for mothers and daughters to have complicated relationships, but how do I talk about all of the anger and joy and love and hate in a couple of pages? How do I sum up a relationship I've had my whole life? How can I be truthful with myself and honest about my feelings when I want to filter the view all of you have of her? How do I talk about my mother?

Early in life, my mother was my world. She loved me; I knew it because she danced with me, she laughed with me, and she cried with me. I knew how she felt, I was in tune with her heart. I knew when she needed a kiss or a hug. I knew when she needed a laugh. But, my mother was always busy; busy with my younger brothers, busy with work, busy with school, busy with friends. So, our time was precious, and sometimes our time was short, but the bond was never weaker for it. It was only stronger and better appreciated.

When I was five, there was an incident that changed something in me regarding the opinion I had of my mother, and although the love was there - floating on the surface - there was planted a small seed. One of hate and anger and disgust (details on this will be my last blog entry). After this incident, nothing was the same, and as I got older, that small seed grew. An undercurrent of distrust and hurt washed over me like waves crashing against a rocky beach, every day, every hour, every minute, every second. Waves, pounding the shoreline of my soul.

In my teen years, there was a particularly sharp downturn in our relationship, this time on her part. She trusted me less; I found myself being punished for writing "crush" letters, and hanging out with friends. Verbal abuse was piled on me; the words "slut", "stupid", and "jackass" were used frequently. I didn't understand why; unlike my friends, I wasn't having sex and had no desire to do so at the time. I would stand there, quivering, as she lectured me in front of my brothers. Tears blurring my vision, my hands sweating, and my mind questioning. I was constantly told, that although I thought I was better than everyone, I was not. I felt so misunderstood; I never felt like I was better than everyone - in fact I felt like I was lower than dirt - this led me to withdrawing from people. My self-esteem was almost non-existent.

When I moved out, I was happy not to speak to my mother for 4 months. I couldn't take any more berating. My contact with her during this period in my life was minimal, and I was grateful for it. We began speaking regularly and unguarded again when I left my boyfriend and moved into an apartment on my own. She even explained to me that her relationship with her own mother had been strained and she was learning how to raise her only daughter when I was younger. It was history repeating itself, I thought.

During this move, I discovered that she had used my name and social security number to rack up debts blemishing my credit and preventing me from getting a phone and making it impossible to get an apartment in my name. Once again, I stopped speaking to her. Who was this woman that could do these things to me? Where was the mother I danced with to Heatwave's Always and Forever?

For years we struggled through; I learned to deal with her as an adult, and not entirely on her terms. I was no longer a cowering child waiting to be chastised, I was a woman who wanted to be respected.

The worst though, was when I reconnected with my husband. She never liked him. She would constantly tell me he didn't love me, that he was not meant for me, that I could do better, that he was not on my level. I could over look that, after all, parents worry about their children and want what's best for them. But once we were married, she constantly disrespected my marriage with her words, and also by "joking" about setting me up with other men who were doctors and lawyers. I explained to my mother that I had dated successful men, millionaires in fact, but my husband was who I wanted. So when I finally got pregnant, I was hesitant about telling my family and my mother about my news. When I told my mother I was pregnant, she did not respond the way I hoped. No joyous shouts, no excitement, just a very plain and dull congratulations.

I guess it should have been no surprise, that as my mother, husband, and I walked out of my OBGYNs office the day I found out my fetus was not viable - as I was bawling in the middle of the street - that she would say, "maybe this is for the best." The last thing I wanted to hear from my own mother were those words at that moment. It was the ultimate betrayal for me. She knew my struggles with infertility, she knew I loved (and love) my husband; I couldn't understand what would possess her to say those things even with the undercurrent of animosity between us.

We haven't spoken since.

Tomorrow, Cheater. . .

9 comments:

  1. OMG, what kind of mother would do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. unfortunately Losa, mine did - but to keep perspective, there were loving moments too

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry I keep saying Losa - trying to multitask Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @NormalToEatPB: I guess the mother-daughter relationship to some can be worst that having a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship - a LOVE-HATE, HATE-LOVE relationship. You can live without your boyfriend but it's not comforting to know that you can't live without your mother. Me and my mother are not that close either. I don't know but there this certain tie between mother and child that's there whether you liked it or not.

    As i continue reading your posts, I can say that we have a lot of things in common. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, mom's are the most importnt people in our lives and it's sad when that bond is broken in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to this 100%. My relationship with my mum has had it's ups & its extreme downs. It's only been in the last couple of months that i have started spending time with her again, it's mostly helping her out. Before i would feel used by it but now i look at it as i'm helping her. Family are the most precious thing in the world but that doesnt mean you are always going to get on. The mother-daughter relationship is something that will always have its troubles. I hope one day your mum can work out that she's loosing you by being like this.

    I ditto what kalamay_addict said!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Kim, I hope to re-connect with my mother at some - I'm not sure how tho. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's just something that will happen in it's own time. Or needs to happen in it's own time. I still have trouble with my mum now & i think it will always be that way but i've learn whats worth getting pissed off by & whats worth leaving. It has to work both ways as well, it sounds like your mum needs to open her eyes at how much she can hurt you, until she does that then it'll never work. But i guess you dont need me telling you that!

    ReplyDelete

All written materials encompassing the entirety of this blog (Normal To EatPB), are the expressed written property of the author NormalToEatPB and are not to be used in any publication of any type without the author’s permission. Anyone not adhering to this warning will face litigation. This warning does not apply to links to this blog. © NormalToEatPB