Monday, April 18, 2011

Keep Up With Me

I have always spent as much money as I wanted to with very few financial goals. Some people in my position feel like they need to buy things to impress colleagues or friends or even potential mates; there are so many people to keep up with in this town. I never felt that way, but I love lavish vacations; suites in 4 and 5 star hotels, full day spa treatments, and fine dining around the world. I like being spoiled in that way, but as far as cars and a fancy home - I don't have those things. If it weren't for the industry I work in, I wouldn't have fancy clothes either.

Is it wrong to spoil yourself for the sake of feeling pampered? Is it wrong to feel like you need to spend as much as your peers?

I feel like in some ways, being on par with your peers is an important step in moving up in your career. I can't help but to notice that many people promoted have a similar look, they eat at the same restaurants, they drink at the same bars, they shop at the same stores. They rise together, their lives are normal, and tragedies are few and far between.

In other ways, I want to rebel. I want to tell the world that you can be who you are and succeed and this is the rule, not the exception. I want to walk around in sneakers and not heels. I want to stop wearing makeup. I want to put an end to the Tahari suits. I want to be me.

But I follow the money; I'm chasing the dream. Are you keeping up with me?

Tomorrow, Fake It Till You Make It. . .

3 comments:

  1. I am a lower class single mom living in a upper class WASPy neighborhood.........I think about this a lot. I've learned that a lot of the appearance of those uppity folks comes at a cost......huge debt and the stress of hiding the fact that they CANT really afford that lifestyle. So..........I think I'm ok with how I live. Although lately I do think more that I need to eat in more and put money towards retirement instead.

    But I probably won't ever give up my addiction to REALLY nice sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C lo, I know what you mean about the sheets thing - my husband politely requested that I stop buying them as we have officially run out of room :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think about this a lot being that i'm only starting to pave my way in the world of work. I look at all my friends that are doing so well and they seem to follow the same pattern...and thats not the pattern i fit into. Part of me wants to rebel and just be me but the other part of me knows that i need to follow that trend to get where i want in life. Is it a bad thing? Sure, but it's the way of the world isnt it. Just like it's who you know not what you know...or it certainly is this end of the world!

    But i dont think there isnt anything wrong in spoiling yourself, certainly not!

    ReplyDelete

All written materials encompassing the entirety of this blog (Normal To EatPB), are the expressed written property of the author NormalToEatPB and are not to be used in any publication of any type without the author’s permission. Anyone not adhering to this warning will face litigation. This warning does not apply to links to this blog. © NormalToEatPB