Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Young Phenious Walks, As Promised

Well, as promised, here is an excerpt of Young Phenious Walks – it’s a draft so please be kind :)

Hi, I’m Phenious, and I’m your friend. One of us is imaginary, but that’s okay.

We’re going on a walk with my dad through the city. The sun is bright today and we can see everything – we can see for miles.

“Dad, look at that! Whoa!”
                “What is it, son?”
“Dad, I see a dragon pond!”

Do you see it? It’s right there, in the tree roots. Do you see how the rain water from yesterday was trapped by that tree’s roots and now it’s a little puddle? What do you see?

[Pic or illustration that doesn’t exist yet]

“I think you’re right Phenious – look, there goes a dragon now.”
“Daaaaad! That’s a dragonfly. My friend and I are using our imaginations.”
                “Oh, I see.”

Walking through the city is fun, isn’t it? There are people, and cars, and stores, and parks, and dogs, and all sorts of big things to look at; but now dad is taking a shortcut through the big park. Look there!

I see a spaceship and there are flying aliens! Do you see it too? Maybe you see something else.
“Dad, there’s a spaceship hanging from that tree and flying aliens all around it, be careful or they’ll beam us up!”

“Are you pointing at the hummingbird feeder? Oh, uh, I mean, yes, I do see the spaceship Phenious. If we go closer, we might be able to hear their alien language.”
“Daaad! That’s just their wings flapping really really fast – jeez!”

Tomorrow, Finishing Touches. . .

9 comments:

  1. interesting, is this a soon to be childrens book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @JJ, uep - it's supposed to be a children's book once I edit and illustrate it :)

    @Rosaria, I am full of surprises aren't I :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a very good begining. It is so natural for children to be frank, so why not for a character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Munir, hopefully the illustration of it wont be so bad as writing the story itself = I'm trying so hard to be a little different than most childrens books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww...now this is my kinda book haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kim, I'm sure you're older than 5 - maybe you don't act older, but. . . lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, you got pretty pictures.
    Your first!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simon, this is not my first children's novel nor pic in this blog :) but sometimes it feels a little lack luster here compared to the other blogs :)

    ReplyDelete

All written materials encompassing the entirety of this blog (Normal To EatPB), are the expressed written property of the author NormalToEatPB and are not to be used in any publication of any type without the author’s permission. Anyone not adhering to this warning will face litigation. This warning does not apply to links to this blog. © NormalToEatPB