Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bees Sting

I remember bees. My first time away at camp at age 13 I saw bumbling bees by berry bushes. They looked lazy; slow and full of pollen or whatever else it is that bees eat. The sun was bright but the berry bushes gave dimpled shade and perfumed the sticky air - and I watched inadvertently as I picked berries, one thought echoing through my head. It was something my mother said to me - snakes like to hide near berry bushes.

Walking to work, I passed gladiolas. It was 7am. Bees were busy at work sipping and bumbling along. I walked confidently towards them and then passed them, but my perfume was sweet. It attracted one bee in particular - he was in love. He followed me all the way to the entrance of the subway, careful not to get too close, but close enough to take in the aroma. We parted ways as friends.

Watching the nature channel, I saw a queen bee. I paid little attention to it, I was interested in the male bees. I was interested in how they were drawn to the queen. How all they wanted to do is stick their little bee penis's in the queen. But what happens after the intercourse? The little male bee’s penis breaks off inside the queen and it dies. At least, this is what I remember.

They die, the bees, when they get angry enough to sting, because unlike wasps, bees stingers are barbed and they break off in their victims often exposing their innards. Yet, their angrier cousins, the wasps, get to live. What if people died when they were angry enough to hurt others. What if people's innards were exposed once they shot or stabbed or raped?

What have I learned from the life of a bee? I have learned to enjoy the aroma of the roses, but to get the work done. I have learned to love and let go when necessary. I have learned that love can be deadly. I have learned that anger can kill us both, because this is what happens when bees sting.

Tomorrow, Laughing Is The Cure. . .

4 comments:

  1. I love bees, they are so clumsy & miss-understood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Kim, bees are like a serious mystery to me but they are so impartant to human life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE big fat fuzzy, black and yellow bumblebees. They are so cute and fun to watch and I love that they are NOT aggresive unless terribly provoked. I loved this post Pandora, you make some really good points and have given me something to think about. Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bees too Susan, I love them because they help bring news life in the form of flora (trees, plants, flowers) I also love earthworms because they improve the soil plants need to grow.

    ReplyDelete

All written materials encompassing the entirety of this blog (Normal To EatPB), are the expressed written property of the author NormalToEatPB and are not to be used in any publication of any type without the author’s permission. Anyone not adhering to this warning will face litigation. This warning does not apply to links to this blog. © NormalToEatPB