Monday, March 21, 2011

Laughing Is the Cure

I just realized that C Lo at One Smarmy Mama was kind enough to list my blog on her site as well as Susan at Non Linear Thinking. This must have been for a while now - I am super dense :), I am at both of these blogs with every new post and I look at my stats constantly - how this escaped me, the world will never know.

Now, on with the show. . .

Laughing in my family is an art form. We have the horse laugh - my mother and I possess this laugh, it's kind of like a wild bray. The rico suave - two of my brothers have this laugh, it's a cool couple of mild laughs accompanied by a slight smile. We also have the hick laugh - it's a brash southern chortle that invites you to laugh along, without scaring people unlike the horse laugh. Lastly, we have the sarcastic laugh, mastered by my youngest brother, when he laughs you just know he thinks you're a fool. I also do a high squeaky laugh, but that's reserved for things that are particularly funny.

I haven't laughed a lot lately; I've been amused, but my laughter has pretty much died. I wonder if it's a phenomenon that comes with getting older or if it's just because my life's circumstances have been so grim. But I do know that laughter is part of the cure. It's the part that welcomes joy back into my life, it's the part that invites people to share in my happiness, it's the part that lightens my heart. What is life without laughter?

Things/people that make me laugh:
My husband
Daniel Tosh on Tosh.0
People falling (I know it's wrong, but honestly I can't help it)
Snot bubbles
Unexpected farts
Susan at Non Linear Thinking
JJ at Methenjim
Simple Dude In A Complex World
Me choking on food, which does not help the choking
The cascade of mini-comedies that erupt in every day life

What makes you laugh?

Tomorrow, Everybody Poops. . .

5 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the shout out! I need to laugh more. My daughter Heidi is a natural comedian, she can make just about anybody laugh. She can imitate ANYONE and any accent. I'm kind of a hard audience most of the time, as in the things that a lot of people laugh at I don't find particularly funny. I really do love a good laugh though whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhhmm..........I'm the master of laughing at inappropriate things. *hangs head* Otherwise...my kids, "The Office", my pets, twitter, my friends, and being snarky make me laugh otherwise. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, hows do we give in to laughter? If you try then it is nearly impossible to laugh I think. . .

    C Lo, I also laugh at inappropriate things, thankfully I have learned to control this at work! And The Office - hmmm, it amuses me, but very rarely makes me laugh. . .and pets are always funny, too bad i'm allergic

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is adorable. My laugh is probably the hick laugh. Heart! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're biased JJ :) and the hick laugh is off the hook! ;)

    ReplyDelete

All written materials encompassing the entirety of this blog (Normal To EatPB), are the expressed written property of the author NormalToEatPB and are not to be used in any publication of any type without the author’s permission. Anyone not adhering to this warning will face litigation. This warning does not apply to links to this blog. © NormalToEatPB