Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Can't Breathe

Sometimes I feel like I can't breathe; it's a feeling of being overwhelmed. Hopelessness and helplessness take hold and inflame my most secret insecurities. I grope within me for some form of assistance, never wanting to go outside of me for my own solutions. I take flawed murky water to quench my broken spirit and heal the lacerations; sludge fills me.

Sometimes I feel like I can't breathe; when I venture into the ocean, knowing that my swimming is not strong. Little sea creatures scuttle beneath my feet, mocking me. I stare down at them and conclude that it is unsafe to tread the sand beneath the crystal clear water. And the waves suddenly come. They knock me down, telling me to be brave and to persevere - to swim and breathe.

Sometimes I feel like I can't breathe; my eyes closed and deep in subconscious, nightmaring again. I run in fear from the dark and what lurks there. As I flee for my life, I wonder if the monster is of my own creation. Slowly, the air is diminished, slowly I am deprived, slowly I am choking and fall to my knees.  understand that I have the power to take a breath whenever I want, but my lungs refuse to fill.

Tomorrow, I Have No Pretty Pictures For You, Are You Disappointed?. . .

8 comments:

  1. Thank you C Lo, but I am never satisfied with my writing - Argh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just glad that this really did not happen to you. So realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the poems! Good writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Munir umm, I'm not dead, but yes, I do feel those things and when I dream sometimes I wake up gasping for air.

    @Mandy, thanks for dropping by - I think this is the first time I've seen you here :) I really like your blog but I think you already know that.

    @Applepie Thanks so much, I'm not really sure what the above is, but I didn't set out to write a poem - just to describe scenerios when I feel I can't breathe. . .

    Hope you drop by again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosaria you are a true blue friend :)

    ReplyDelete

All written materials encompassing the entirety of this blog (Normal To EatPB), are the expressed written property of the author NormalToEatPB and are not to be used in any publication of any type without the author’s permission. Anyone not adhering to this warning will face litigation. This warning does not apply to links to this blog. © NormalToEatPB