Thursday, March 31, 2011

Eat Me, Drink Me

I want to admit something today: I have given myself food poisoning. I know, I know, you must be thinking that I'm a really bad cook - or a really dirty one - but you would be wrong, I am in fact, I really low-energy hostess with bad vision when I first wake up.

You see, the worst case I ever had was after I had thrown myself my 25th birthday party at my apartment. I served fried chicken, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and appetizers. I had 15 guests, and we laughed and reminisced and drank and ate. There were large serving bowls of food everywhere; when my guests left I was exhausted and fell asleep on my couch - all of those serving bowls of leftover food still in the dining room. It was 3am.

When I awoke, it was about 3pm the next day and I was starving. I picked up a piece of chicken from the serving platter and took a bite, then I picked up a cob of corn and took a bite. I walked to the kitchen, poured myself a drink, and walked back to the living room. By the time I reached the couch, I had experienced a pain I never felt in my life. I was sweating and my stomach was cramping so bad I couldn't stand up straight. It was like Mike Tyson was giving me body blows. I collapsed on the couch and passed out. 2 hours later I woke up still sweating. I struggled off the couch and staggered to the table. The chicken still looked and smelled fine, but when I picked up the corn, there was bright blue mold all over the sweet yellow kernels. There was the culprit, so obvious now that I was actually paying attention.

And so people, I nearly killed myself with food, have you?

Tomorrow, I'm A Donkey. . .

8 comments:

  1. I am not so sure that food poisoning takes place that quickly, so don't blame yourself. Take it from an old timer, if you have been throwing up please go to a hospital let them check your electrolytes specially after going through surgery like you did, I wouldn't take chances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Munir, this happened a couple of years ago - and becuase of my extensive experience with food pisoning, I can say with certainty that I definitel.y poisoned myself - I am not proud of it tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't experienced this yet but I know some people who experienced this and they say it's really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, not a good thing, never. Stay out of trouble from now on. You got a whole life ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosaria, I nearly laughed myself silly when I saw the mold - duh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not had food poisoning & touch wood I’ll avoid it for as long as I can. I've had housemates who have had it & it really is horrible to see them in that much pain. I think I nearly had alcohol poisoning once. And I’m not talking about a bad hangover...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slow down Kim, that alcohol poisoning is a very dangerous thing :(

    ReplyDelete

All written materials encompassing the entirety of this blog (Normal To EatPB), are the expressed written property of the author NormalToEatPB and are not to be used in any publication of any type without the author’s permission. Anyone not adhering to this warning will face litigation. This warning does not apply to links to this blog. © NormalToEatPB