Friday, March 11, 2011

Rapscallions!

I wanted to list some of my favorite moments with my nieces and nephews. They are in no specific order, just as memories do, they float into focus and out of focus in the order that they choose.

Making Baskets
When my husband and I had 3 of my nieces in Temporary Housing, we had them during Easter. Being the crafty person that I am, you didn't know that - did you, instead of buying Easter baskets my nieces and I made Easter baskets the day before. I always keep extra paper and ribbon around if I think they look beautiful, and I am very handy with a hot glue gun! So we took Blue Bunny ice cream containers and began thinking about what we could do with them. We laughed and smiled and they picked the materials that I would glue on to the containers. . .

The results (I can't find one of the baskets :( )


When their brothers saw what we had done, they wanted to make baskets with us too. So Easter afternoon there were a slew of kids in my house; my nieces, my nephews, and my brother and his girlfriend. We were all making baskets and dying eggs, and it was a peaceful moment.


The Zoo
When my husband and I first started dating, I occasionally brought along a niece or nephew just to see how he would interact with them. I guess I was testing whether or not he would make a good dad. Once, we took one of my nephews to the zoo. It was so amazing! To watch his little 5 year-old face light up at the site of all the animals, and then to get his face painted like a snake, and to walk the whole span of the zoo with him. . . it was such a great sunny warm day. The best part though, was watching my husband hold my nephews hand, and pick him up and place him on his shoulders. As I watched my nephew run to my then boyfriend after he had climbed down from the tree slide and ropes, and I knew that he was the one. He was the one that would protect my future children and love them and provide for them.

It felt like the longest day ever; getting on the tram, and the train, and walking to the furthest reaches of the zoo. Thankfully, we were able to have a seat, take in some lunch and a beer, and then continue our trek.


One, Two, Three Strikes You’re Out At The Old Ball Game
That same summer, my mother, boyfriend and I were riding around with one of my brothers and his young son. It was one of the few days my brother had off from work, he supports 5 children and rarely has time to spend with them. As we were waiting outside of a fast-food place for my brother and mother to get back with lunch, my then boyfriend now husband suggested that we go to a baseball game. When we were all in the car together we mentioned this idea. My mother was hesitant because my brother needed some alone time with his son, but my brother was for the idea - so off we went! We rushed to the stadium and I got us all tickets and some snacks to munch on while we watched the game. Now, I am not the biggest baseball fan, but that day was magical. To see my brother sharing that moment with his son; to be sitting next to my future husband; to watch the joy in my mother’s face - it was a good day. The smell of beer filled the air and peanut shells crunched on the floor as people drifted by, their eyes fixated on every pitch. Sounds of hoots and boos were deafening, the roar had the force of a gale and could have knocked the young one off of his feet. And so, we were all there, spending time together, sharing a moment.

Tomorrow, Starry, Starry Night . .

6 comments:

  1. Oh, g/friend, I have had it with the way you refer to Mr. EatPB. Use his initial, or a different one. It'll making the writing neater, too.

    Unless, of course, his only significance in life is as your consort? ;) (And again, if you want to let me have it, go stright to my email!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me smile. I love seeing into the happy parts of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like happy posts too, I'm glad you can enjoy the mess that is my writing and that is me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your life is intricately connected to those children. They are lucky to have you and your husband/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosaria, my husband and I miss thedm so much, but I fear we wont see them again.

    ReplyDelete

All written materials encompassing the entirety of this blog (Normal To EatPB), are the expressed written property of the author NormalToEatPB and are not to be used in any publication of any type without the author’s permission. Anyone not adhering to this warning will face litigation. This warning does not apply to links to this blog. © NormalToEatPB